[bksvol-discuss] Re: unzipped and lost in space

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 13:28:05 -0400

Cindy,

When we worked on Kipling I did not have the Kurzweil although I had originally scanned it with the demo of the K 1000 but then ran out of time on the demo. You may recall all the trouble I had with the WordPerfect with Kipling. I have WordPerfect when not using K1000 to validate but it is easier now that I am learning to use the Kurzweil for these jobs as WordPerfect grows blank pages like a virus grows extra cells. It also has a tendency to self-convert rtf files to "Read Only" with a "you can change but must rename" but even if you rename it often will still not allow you to save the changes. I may have to rename it 4 or more times to get a copy with the changes I had made.[Currently I am fighting to make changes to my July shopping list which has no possible excuse for being "read only" but I am told I am not "authorized" to change it.] If I could afford it I would get Word or something else in addition to Kurzweil but the Kurzweil, as I am learning with thanks to Evan and others, can do much of what I need without having to go to another word processing program.

As for Daisy, my computer will not let me use Daisy. I have downloaded it a number of times but the minute I try to read a book it "has to close" which is why I had to get a program just to read my books. None at Daisy, Bookshare, or Dell could figure out how to fix Daisy so I finally killed 2 birds . . . and got Kurzweil.

Thanks for all the help from everyone as I work my way through scanning and validating as I refuse to submit a scan which it not at least very good and preferably excellent. This is especially important to me when working on rescanning a book that had been in the collection and readers found impossible. That is the case with the current book as I had been requested to scan it after having praised the book and author on the bookshare discuss list.

Amy
omsm