[bksvol-discuss] Re: smart quotes

  • From: "Maria Kristic" <maria6289@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 15:24:47 -0400

Hi Sue,

I see that Jim's given you a solution, but I just wanted to chime in RE your
Braille display comment. I'm using a PACMate Portable 40-cell Braille
display with JAWS 9 and Word 2003, and I do see an indication of a check box
on my display. I can see whether it's checked or unchecked, too. Do you, by
any chance, have your Braille display set to Speech History mode if using
JAWS? If so, I experience the same thing as Jim, in that I don't receive
verbal feedback indicating the checked/unchecked status of items in this
list view either, and not even my Speech and Sounds Manager scheme kicks in
to provide the appropriate sound (which sometimes has happened; I've
sometimes heard my sound scheme in places where I swore I didn't hear speech
indication back when my JAWS was set to speak the state of controls and
before I started using Speech and Sounds Manager for the purpose). However,
if I read the current line with the JAWS Read Current Line command, I do
receive speech notification, even though I've set the control state not to
be spoken because of the sound I use, but still, that's better than nothing
for the times when I'm not using my Braille display with my PC. Anyway, back
to your Braille display, since Speech History mode displays information
exactly as it is sent to the synthesizer, that would explain why you're not
seeing the indication if you're using this mode; if this is the case, try
pressing the JAWS Read Current Line command (JAWSKey+UpArrow), and you
should see/hear an indication of whether it's checked or unchecked.

HTH,
Maria
Skype: MariaKristic
AIM: MCKristic