[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot: cats

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:09:00 -0500

I know what you mean Julie--I can't aim a spray bottle at all. I've found
that my cat, who was a rescued stray that nearly starved to death in the
past, really doesn't grasp the concept that human mouth noises have meaning.
Even very simple words like No or Get Down have no meaning for her. Many
cats will ignore what you say to them and you can tell when they do it on
purpose, but I'm absolutely certain that my cat doesn't get it. I've found
that using gestures works much better with her. If I want her to come sit by
me I pat my lap or the couch. If I want her to get down, I clap my hands to
get her attention and then gesture at her and at the floor. She's a cat, so
of course she doesn't always do what I want, but the visual gestures work
much better than screaming at her like a maniac ever did, and it's a lot
more pleasant. <lol> We think the cat has damaged hearing because she isn't
afraid of loud sounds at all--she'll sit and watch me vacuum from 3 feet
away.
Kellie