[bksvol-discuss] Re: (no subject)

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 07:48:06 -0400

I would suggest that someone not terribly familiar with the work of
Alexander Solzhenitsyn  start with something like "A Day in the Life of Ivan
D." (the D. is actually spelled out to make a last name but I don't feel
like looking it up and couldn't imagine getting it right if I had to guess
at the spelling).  It was the first of the Solzhenitsyn  prison camp books
and, during the short period when Khrushchev allowed a bit of publishing
freedom, it came out in Russia followed by translations in the rest of the
world.  Although one of his shorter works (more like the size of a typical
novel, it brought him to international attention and likely motivated his
nobel prize.

His four Gulag books (Ivan and the three archipelago novels) make up the
really important publications from his career.  After moving from the Soviet
Union to Vermont in 1974, he wrote and published a bunch of historical
fiction which isn't terribly good or considered important in the critical
community.

cdh

Chris Hofstader
CUNY, BSO, ATG, Odds and Ends