[bksvol-discuss] Re: improving a book in the collection

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:24:24 -0600

When you unpack the book from the bks file you should choose the option to have
it also make an HTML copy of the book.  Now you can probably open that copy in
Word to edit it, but you will have to insert page breaks where they are
required.  That is possible if the original file had enough page numbers for
the bookshare utility to insert page numbers.  Just press control-enter just
before each page number you find in the file.  Backspace over any other page
breaks you find, and everything should be just fine.

If you find a lot of strange garbage in the file your copy of word might have
messed up when opening the HTML file, so check or that both when you first open
it in Word and when you open the RTF you will eventually submit to bookshare.

I would not press enter on the file from within Windows explorer .  Instead you
can open Word and then use the Control-O  open file command to open the HTML
copy of the book.  You'll have to browse for it using the look in combo-box and
list in the Word open dialog.  In the file types box arrow   down until you get
to all files or HTML files will not show up in the list.  If you have any
problems with that let me know.

Remember to use the file menu and choose Save As when you want to save the
editing you have done.  When the dialog opens you'll be in the edit control
where you type the file name.  You probably don't want to change that, but tab
once to see the file types you can save the file in.  Just choose rich text
format (RTF) and press enter.  That should be all you need to do.  Of course
when you open the file again to work on it you will want to open the RTF not
the original HTML.  If you want you can even delete all the files you unpacked
and just keep the RTF you are working on.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity