[bksvol-discuss] Re: chapters and numbers

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 23:07:51 -0700 (PDT)

Oh, dear. I left the alphabet letters on the right because that is the way
they appeared in this dictionary and in ala dictionaries an encyclopedias.
Hopewfully bookshare will move them to the upper left.
Henceforth I will write the word chapter chapter before chapter nunumbers and
titles. When I doublecheck the paginationin the book I'm proofing now I'l try
to remember to do that.

>________________________________

but I'd like to mention that I write the word chapter before the chapter
number, and when there is a chapter name as well, I format it as
follows:

>Chapter 1: Arriving home
>
>I was taught this format by a Bookshare staffer,
who also instructed me to put chapter names as above in size 16 font. Before
that I was using 14, but changed to 16 when I was instructed to do
so.

>As for letter names on a dictionary page, I'd
suggest putting them flush with the left margin. I'm not sure that
Bookshare tools would leave them against the right margin anyway. Speaking from
a reader with very low vision, if I use my eyes, I can't scan pages or lines.
It's hard for my eye to search out a character at the right margin. I can't
track empty white spaces. which makes reading tables in print impossible. I
naturally work my way down a page from the left margin. I would miss centered
titles, too.

>When I started volunteering, a blind proofer who
was an official Bookshare advisor instructed me to left justify a whole book
before I began proofing. I realize that aesthetically this is visually boring,
but it's much easier for people with a small visual range or whose eyes move
constantly, to navigate. Since Bookshare is about adapting books to make them
accessible, I think it's encouraged to maximize navigability without changing
the actual content of the words.

>The word chapter before chapter numbers enables
those of us with braille displays to navigate by chapter since font size
doesn't
help our equipment to jump from chapter to chapter.

>By the way, I just finished "The Lady Vanishes
about a dog trainer turned investigator, the third in this series I've read
from
Bookshare, and am currently reading, "The Dead of Winter," a Louis Kincaid
mystery set in Michigan. I proofread every day, but I read Bookshare books in
bed on my Braille Note, and during the day when I want to relax. These books
are
beautifully done, very clean and accurate. I appreciate them
tremendously.

>Always with love,
>
>Lissi

    question...if the Chapters of a book are represented simply by the number
of
    the chapters, without actually showing the word "chapter" should we add
    it?