[bksvol-discuss] Re: books for Gwen

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 00:21:50 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, indeed Thank you for refreshing my memory. It was Catherine Cookson and I
believe her are some books by her in the Collwetionlcollection

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List:

Date: Tuesday,
        September 8, 2009, 11:16 PM

        Hi, Cindy, I happened to like some of
        Charles Dickens' books. My favorite novel after The Life and
        Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby is Our Mutual Friend. This
        may not suit Gwen's fancy, and it's true that Dickens concerned himself
        with social problems that came to his attention, but if one has
listened
        to a very good reader narrating certain books by Dickens, I find him a
        riveting writer. I have favorite books of his I like and others I don't
        care for. I think the reason I disliked The Old Curiosity Shop
        was the sentimentality and that soppy characterization of Little Nell.
        have friends who happen to like the novel. What interests me about
        Dickens is the wide range of his work. I have mixed feelings about your
        remarks about not wanting to read about suffering, particularly that of
        children. I hate to read stuff which depresses me, and some times
        Dickens can be very grim, i.e., the lives of people in debtor's prison,
        the poor laws and the English workhouse, etc., but I find him to be a
        writer who is not unrelievedly bleak. He certainly can tell a great
        story and his characters tend to be very memorable. What is your take
on
        people writing now, Cindy? I remember reading Heart of Darkness
        by Joseph Conrad and The Stranger by Albert Camus. Talk about
        depressing ... now those were depressing stories to my way of
        thinking. I can stand reading Dickens. Regards,
        Kim.

        From:
        bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday,
                September 8, 2009, 6:47 PM

                Dear Gwen,
                Some historical fiction,
                biographies, or classic authors like Jane Austen and Charles
                Dickens are fine too. I don't like books with explicit
                descriptions of sex either. I do like romance but not as the
                central plot or theme of a book. It is a matter of personal
                preference and what you can tolerate. If I think a book is
worth
                reading, I will fast forward or skip past parts that make me
                uncomfortable. If you enjoy reading other genres and subjectss,
                you shouldn't need to limit yourself to childrens' and
religious
                books. I am not criticizing those at all since I have read many
                good books in those subjects; however, Bookshare has a vast
                collection that is constantly updating so there should be
                something to absorb your interest and reading pleasure. I hope
                that I have not offended you in any way.

                Chanelle

                  -----
                  [bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank
                  you.

                  So for me I'll stick in the
                  religion and spirituality or children's and I should be
                  relatively fine thanks.

                    -----