[bksvol-discuss] Re: books for Gwen

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 00:08:05 -0700

Hi, Cindy, can you tell me the name of that author writing about the poor
during the 19th century? You have peaked my curiosity. Could you have been
reading Catherine Cookson by any chance? She tends to write about northern
English society and in the main she wrote about working people. Oh, dearest
Cindy, please do not leave me in suspense. I want to know. Thanks and best
regards, Kim.

  _____

From: Kim Friedman <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 11:16 PM

Hi, Cindy, I happened to like some of Charles Dickens' books. My favorite
novel after The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby is Our Mutual
Friend. This may not suit Gwen's fancy, and it's true that Dickens concerned
himself with social problems that came to his attention, but if one has
listened to a very good reader narrating certain books by Dickens, I find
him a riveting writer. I have favorite books of his I like and others I
don't care for. I think the reason I disliked The Old Curiosity Shop was the
sentimentality and that soppy characterization of Little Nell. I have
friends who happen to like the novel. What interests me about Dickens is the
wide range of his work. I have mixed feelings about your remarks about not
wanting to read about suffering, particularly that of children. I hate to
read stuff which depresses me, and some times Dickens can be very grim,
i.e., the lives of people in debtor's prison, the poor laws and the English
workhouse, etc., but I find him to be a writer who is not unrelievedly
bleak. He certainly can tell a great story and his characters tend to be
very memorable. What is your take on people writing now, Cindy? I remember
reading Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad and The Stranger by Albert Camus.
Talk about depressing ... now those were depressing stories to my way of
thinking. I can stand reading Dickens. Regards, Kim.

  _____

From: Chanelle Hill <chanellemh@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please and thank you.
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 6:47 PM

Dear Gwen,
Some historical fiction, biographies, or classic authors like Jane Austen
and Charles Dickens are fine too. I don't like books with explicit
descriptions of sex either. I do like romance but not as the central plot or
theme of a book. It is a matter of personal preference and what you can
tolerate. If I think a book is worth reading, I will fast forward or skip
past parts that make me uncomfortable. If you enjoy reading other genres and
subjectss, you shouldn't need to limit yourself to childrens' and religious
books. I am not criticizing those at all since I have read many good books
in those subjects; however, Bookshare has a vast collection that is
constantly updating so there should be something to absorb your interest and
reading pleasure. I hope that I have not offended you in any way.

Chanelle