[bksvol-discuss] Re: books for Gwen

  • From: "Jamie Prater" <jdprater@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:57:28 -0500

Hi, Kim, I've looked at Gutenberg.org but not in a very long time.  I know we
got a huge addition from them to bookshare's stuff but I didn't know how and
didn't know it was gutenberg and I don't know how to download the stuff from
Gutenberg but I like what I've seen of their collection.  I used to read stuff
from them with jaws when I had time, but like I said, it's been several years.
I didn't know if they were around anymore or if they had books added to them.
Thanks for the book suggestions.  I've downloaded a lot from bookshare from
those authors.  What is the sequel book to Polyanna?  I've not found that one
yet but I loved Pollyanna when I read it on tape, and I have and love that
movie.  I've read most if not all the Anne books.  I want to read the Avonlea
and other books that L. M. Montgomery writes.  I love that kind of stuff.  I
also like Kate Wiggin and others.  I get her mixed up with who wrote Ellen
Foster but I liked that book as well.  This stuff is all right up my alley and
I really want to read good wives by Alcott even though my friend thinks if I've
read all of little women I've read good wives.  I just like Alcott and want to
read for myself.  Thanks again and have a blessed day.
            From: Chanelle Hill <chanellemh@xxxxxxxxx>
            To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 9:57 AM

            That is true about many Dickens books being too sad. I certainly
don't like all of them. My favorites are Tale of Two Cities, Nicholas Nickleby,
and David Copperfield.
            Other childrens books I enjoyed reading while growing up were
Little Women, The Little House on the Prairie series, and Anne of Green Gables.
There are so many wonderful books out there to read and unfortunately, I don't
have time to read them all. :)

            Chanelle
                      From: Chanelle Hill <chanellemh@xxxxxxxxx>
                      Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: I have a question please
and thank you.
                      To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 6:47 PM

                      Dear Gwen,
                      Some historical fiction, biographies, or classic authors
like Jane Austen and Charles Dickens are fine too. I don't like books with
explicit descriptions of sex either. I do like romance but not as the central
plot or theme of a book. It is a matter of personal preference and what you can
tolerate. If I think a book is worth reading, I will fast forward or skip past
parts that make me uncomfortable. If you enjoy reading other genres and
subjectss, you shouldn't need to limit yourself to childrens' and religious
books. I am not criticizing those at all since I have read many good books in
those subjects; however, Bookshare has a vast collection that is constantly
updating so there should be something to absorb your interest and reading
pleasure. I hope that I have not offended you in any way.

                      Chanelle