[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bksvol-discuss]writers who use big words

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 19:17:40 -0500

I learned the word penultimate when I was learning Braille shorthand many many
years ago. I always thought, "who in the hell is going to use that word in a
letter?"

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book, Books are well written or
badly written, That is all,
-- Oscar Wilde,The Picture of Dorian Gray
          From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
          Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: [bksvol-discuss]writers who use big
words
          To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Date: Sunday, July 5, 2009, 8:39 AM

          What gets to me is what some people consider a big word. Once, in an
effort to be facetious, I made reference to my id and then I was accused of
using a big word to impress. Id is a big word? Then, at least twice, in casual
conversation I used the word recondite. Both times the person to whom I was
talking reached without comment for a dictionary to look up the word. One of
them then expressed surprise that I had used it in a way that I obviously knew
what it meant.

                                                                    "If you
tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine."
Che Guevara

                       The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml
Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                       _

          table with 2 columns and 6 rows
          Subj:
          [bksvol-discuss] Re: [bksvol-discuss]writers who use big words
          Date:
          7/5/2009 10:03:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time
          From:
          akp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          To:
          bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Sent from the Internet
          (Details)
          table end

          Hi all,

          I love being able to look up the occasional word. Taylor Caldwell is
one of those writers who uses big words naturally, as if she figures her readers
          will know what on earth she's talking about! I had to resort to the
dictionary for "efulgent" Anybody heard of efulgent? I also looked up "Lambent",
          any takers on that one? I better retake the SAT's I could probably
get a better score now after fourty years. <smiling>

          Ann P.

          --
          AAnn K. Parsons
          Portal Tutoring

          "All that is gold does not glitter,
          Not all those who wander are lost." JRRT

          put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get a
list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line..

          An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222887319x1201497660/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=JulyExcfooterNO62)