[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bksvol-discuss]writers who use big words

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:57:41 EDT

I have no memory of where or when I learned the word penultimate, but it is
an integral part of my vocabulary and so it is available to be used
whenever I find it appropriate to do so. However, it is one of the less frequent
words in the English language and so it is also a word that I do not often
have an appropriate use for. I could, of course, make a point of using it, but
the very act of making that point would be, in fact, an act of
pretentiousness. When one is learning a new word it is a good idea to work it
into as
many conversations as possible so that it can be absorbed into one's
vocabulary, but once it has been absorbed, that effort does turn into
pretentiousness.
I do use the word penultimate unpretentiously now and then, though, and I
don't think that casual use has ever elicited the accusation of
pretentiousness.

                                                                  "If you
tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine."
Che Guevara

                 The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml
Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bksvol-discuss]writers who use big words
Date:
7/5/2009 8:18:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

I learned the word penultimate when I was learning Braille shorthand many
many years ago. I always thought, "who in the hell is going to use that word
in
a letter?"
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book, Books are well
written or badly written, That is all,
-- Oscar Wilde,The Picture of Dorian Gray

block quote
From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, July 5, 2009, 8:39 AM

What gets to me is what some people consider a big word. Once, in an effort
to be facetious, I made reference to my id and then I was accused of using
a big word to impress. Id is a big word? Then, at least twice, in casual
conversation I used the word recondite. Both times the person to whom I was
talking
reached without comment for a dictionary to look up the word. One of them
then expressed surprise that I had used it in a way that I obviously knew
what
it meant.

                                                          "If you tremble
with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine." Che
Guevara

             The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International:
http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html
             _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bksvol-discuss]writers who use big words
Date:
7/5/2009 10:03:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
akp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hi all,

I love being able to look up the occasional word. Taylor Caldwell is one of
those writers who uses big words naturally, as if she figures her readers
will know what on earth she's talking about! I had to resort to the
dictionary for "efulgent" Anybody heard of efulgent? I also looked up "Lambent",
any takers on that one? I better retake the SAT's I could probably get a
better score now after fourty years. <smiling>

Ann P.

--
AAnn K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost." JRRT

available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line..

**************
An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222887319x1201497660/aol?redir=http://www.fr
eecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&
bcd=JulyExcfooterNO62)

block quote end

block quote end

An Excellent Credit Score is 750. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222887319x1201497660/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&amp;hmpgID=62&amp;
bcd=JulyExcfooterNO62)