[bksvol-discuss] Re: Wife as aide

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:02:44 -0500

Cindy,

I had a dog, but just had to put him down last year because too many bodily functions were failing. He made it to 15, but hadn't worked for about 2 years. When I lived on Long Island he was great, but since moving to Maine he didn't get anywhere enough work. One thing that gave him trouble toward the end was his hips which were the victim of an inopportune meeting with a bear.
Two of the incidents I referred to in the earlier e-mail happened before I had the dog, and the swimming pool one occurred because I was at home and not using him. Another incident that happened at home was, when we had a leak in a water pipe, I had gone down cellar to turn off the water. The house was built in 1842, and consequently it had 2 ways to get down cellar. One from the outside, and another via a trap door and ladder inside. Of course wanting to get down there quickly I went down the trap door and didn't shut it after turning off the water. Not thinking about the trap door, and going from the kitchen to the bathroom to check on the water in there, I did like in the cartoon and went down through the trap door. Fortunately, when I felt myself falling I knew right away what a dumb thing I had done and threw my arms wide and caught myself at shoulder height.
As researchers will tell you some ridiculously high percentage of all accidents happen in the home. With that in mind here are 3 quotes from Steven Wright dealing with statistics.

"Half the people you know are below average."

"99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name."

"42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot."

Dave

At 08:49 PM 3/14/2005, you wrote:
Hmmm. Dave, maybe you should have a dog. (smile) You
can pet it as well as your wife. Notice I did not say
turn her in for a dog. It would be better to have
both. Both can give you love, be petted and kiss you,
but your wife can cook for you (maybe --unless she's
retired from that) and entertain you.

Cindy