[bksvol-discuss] Re: Some additions to the scanning and proofing manual

  • From: "Paula and James Muysenberg" <outofsightlife@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bkvol" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:21:39 -0500

    I just finished reading the new section on proofreading with K1000, and
even though I've done a lot of proofreading, I learned some helpful hints! I do
have a few questions, though.

    First, once you standardize the font at 12 points, is there a quick way to
set chapter titles at 16, or should this simply be done  as you read through
the book?

    Second, if Correction of End of Line Hypens is enabled under General
Settings, is it necessary to do the find and replace? If you apply corrections
under the Edit menu, won't that take care of the problem?

        Third, I'm curious about the need for a blank line after a page break.
I know there should be a blank line between the text and the end of the page,
and between the page number and the text, but why do we need a blank line at
the top, between the page break and the number? Sorry if I'm not making sense.

    Fourth, if you go through the 27 steps to remove unneeded returns, wouldn't
that mess up text that is deliberately written in columns, such as lists? I
know list items are often preceded by bullets, but sometimes they are not.

    That reminds me: is it still a good idea to replace bullets with something
like a double dash, so as not to confuse the braille translator?

    OK, last question, I promise. Can't you  do similar procedures in K1000 to
those described in Word, such as replacing smart quotes? As I understand it,
you can hit Control -H for Find and Replace, then hold down the ALT key and
type the required number sequence with the Numpad keys.

    Sorry this is long. Again, my thanks to all who have worked so hard on
these documents. It is really helpful to have all the suggested procedures in
one place.

Paula