[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about educational and children's books

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 22:48:15 -0500

Hi Gwen. Yes, that is fine. Most of our volunteers have some sort of
disability. Many of us are totally blind and have little or no sighted help.
So it's wonderful when we can get pictures described, but it's not really
expected. We're asked to do our best according to our individual abilities.
That's something I really like about Bookshare.

Cindy, Valerie, Doug, Judy, Jamie, and others are so kind in helping
describe pictures in books for younger children. If I scan a book with
pictures, charts, or graphs, I read the text to see if any of it is
dependent on knowing what the graphics are. If it's really important, I bake
my dad's favorite brownies, take him to lunch, or take him for a milk shake
somewhere. He helps to describe the pictures, and I type the descriptions
into the text.

Monica Willyard

  _____