[bksvol-discuss] Re: Protecting chapter anemes/page numbers

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 14:50:55 -0700 (PDT)

Sigh. Mary Anne, I was hoping someone else would reply to your question, but no
one has so far, so here goes. (I say that because I don't explain things as
clearly as some others do).

Bookshare has automatic stripper (which we all keep hoping will strip itself
and disappear). It's intended to automatically delete headers, but it doesn't
do a very good job of that. It's intended, I think, to take out words that are
repeated exactly, on the first line, and so it will delete the word Chapter
unless something is put on the line in front of the word. I think it takes out
page numbers if the header is on the same line. So we who scan or validate
usually remove the headers by oursleves, put a line space and then the page
number and then another space, and thus, because the page number is always
different on every page, the word chapter, which is usually a couple of lines
below the page number, is preserved.

HTH

G.Cindy