[bksvol-discuss] Re: m-dashes

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 14:44:40 -0700

Hi,

No, it isn't that we're replacing hyphens with two hyphens. It's the em dash, the long dash denoting a pause, that is being replaced with two hyphens. We do this, because in braille translation, the em dash is not translated correctly, but two dashes are.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 01:26 PM 5/8/2008, you wrote:
It sounds like all single hyphens should be replaced with two hyphens in
a row.  Am I interpreting this correctly? What is the purpose?

Thanks from a newbie,
Debbie