[bksvol-discuss] Re: Pet Peeve - it's a dot and the word and both!

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 21:05:11 -0400

I agree with you about the need for software and hardware devices to strive toward being compliant. I hope engineering uses all the evaluation and access testing tools possible to spot areas for site improvement. I know access is a moving target. it is a target worth following even if one needs to also move and learn as we all go along.

Elizabeth

At 08:49 PM 8/6/2009, you wrote:
Very good points, Elizabeth. smile. In theory, yes, style sheets make the transparent for technology. Unfortunately that theory is often murdered by a gang of brutal facts. smile. Style sheets help make websites "more" transparent. But not transparent. The world wide web consortium (w3.org) provides only a set of recommendations - not requirements. It leaves it up to manufacturers (software and hardware) to follow the recommendations.

So even if the Bookshare engineers have built a 100 per cent W3 compliant website, it doesn't mean all the assistive devices and software are going to work with it correctly. In fact, I would consider it a certifiable miracle if all of the different assistive software and hardware manufacturers were close to compliant with the full W3 standards. smile

Judy s.

E. wrote:
I am using speech and internet explorer.
The style sheets are supposed to make the site transparent for technology.
Thus, the html code need be changed very little when changing the site.
There is information about how to evaluate a web site and the style sheets and all the html at
www.w3.org/wai
I am sure engineering has tested their site with appropriate accessibility evaluation tools available from that site. Those tools ought to point up just the issue you notice Judy.
Elizabeth

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4313 (20090806) __________

http://www.eset.com