[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page numbers and headers/footers

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:13:31 -0500

Not using a program may sound easy enough, but sometimes the real solution isn't that easy. The stripper is probably part of a book processing program that performs many tasks, so taking a chunk out of it may cause a lot of issues we can't imagine. I am married to a hardware and software engineer and I know enough about programming to understand its complexities. I get to hear a lot of horror stories about how changing one little thing throws a hole system off. Of course I am just assuming that is the case with bookshare, but I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. If it was just a policy issue, as I also first assumed, I think something would have been done about it immediately given the feedback we have recently received. I don't really think any of us would like all book processing to stop completely while Benetech raises the money for and then gets some people to start changing the system. Then of course some debugging would be necessary, because nothing comes out perfectly on the first try. When they thought everything was working great, then we would get to try the new system, and guess what... We would find some more problems and this list again explodes with messages about how the system is not satisfactory. ;-)

I'm not the slightest bit patient, I'm just somewhat understanding.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity

----- Original Message ----- From: "Deborah Kent Stein" <dkent5817@xxxxxxx>