[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page numbers?

  • From: Megmil85@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 22:14:21 EDT

Yes, the ISBN's match and I read the book entirely through. Nothing at all
seemed to be missing, not even one word.

In a message dated 6/1/2009 7:10:20 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx writes:

Did you make sure the ISBN matched the Amazon listing? If  it does you
might be dealing with a book with missing  pages.

"I find capitalism repugnant. It is filthy, it is gross, it is
alienating... because it causes war, hypocrisy and competition." Fidel  Castro

The Militant: _http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml  _
(http://wwww.themilitant.com/) Pathfinder Press:
_http://www.pathfinderpress.com_
(http://www.pathfinderpress.com/)
Granma  International: _http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html_
(http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html)
_

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss]  Re: Page numbers?
Date:
6/1/2009 10:03:46 PM  Eastern Daylight  Time
From:
Megmil85@xxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent  from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Yes, I agree, page  numbers are definitely important. What do I do if there
are none at all  already there? I'm proofreading Halloween Rain and there's
no
page numbers  at all. The book information page listed it as having 171 but
Amazon.com says  it should have 176. I proofread it with my BrailleNote, all
the way  through, and there were no missing or duplicated pages. When I
opened it in  Word to add page numbers, I found where the actual book started
and
ended,  so excluded front matter and the book cover, and there were 164.
So, what  should I do? How do I know where page numbers should be, where page
breaks
are missing? And, to put the page numbers in after I figure out what  page
breaks are missing, in, should I do it manually or what would you  suggest? I
have OpenBook 7.0 and a BrailleNote and was also wondering about  doing the
insert page numbers with Microsoft word but wasn't sure how that'd  work.
Thanks!
Sorry for all the newbe  questions.

Megan

In a message dated 6/1/2009 6:50:59 P.M.  Pacific Daylight Time,
rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

block quote
Hi  again Megan.

Actually, I've found that page numbers are very important  in proofreading
a book.

I don't move them, if they are at the  bottom I leave them at the bottom,
if they are at the top I leave them at the  top. I think some folks prefer
them
at the top but that seems to me to be  tampering with the book's original
content and I don't do  it.

But, if page numbers are present you can tell whether or not  a page has
been skipped or duplicated.

I use Kurzweil to do most  of my editing. The first thing I do is determine
where the real page 1 is:  after all the front matter. Then I set Kurzweil
recognize this as page  1.  Then I go to the last page, at least the last
page with a page number  and see if Kurzweil has the same page count. If so,
then
you're lucky. If  not that means there are missing pages or duplicated
pages. Sometimes someone  will scan a book in two page mode. In that case there
will
be page numbers  without corresponding page breaks. Usually it's two pages
between page breaks.  Then you have to go through and put a page break where
the
new pages are. I  hate doing that because it's grunt work and can take a
long  time.

Anyway, you see why I consider page numbers important?

Bob

block quote