[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page numbers?

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 22:10:31 EDT

Did you make sure the ISBN matched the Amazon listing? If it does you might
be dealing with a book with missing pages.

                                                          "I find
capitalism repugnant. It is filthy, it is gross, it is alienating... because it
causes war, hypocrisy and competition." Fidel Castro

The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page numbers?
Date:
6/1/2009 10:03:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
Megmil85@xxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Yes, I agree, page numbers are definitely important. What do I do if there
are none at all already there? I'm proofreading Halloween Rain and there's
no
page numbers at all. The book information page listed it as having 171 but
Amazon.com says it should have 176. I proofread it with my BrailleNote, all
the way through, and there were no missing or duplicated pages. When I
opened it in Word to add page numbers, I found where the actual book started and
ended, so excluded front matter and the book cover, and there were 164. So,
what should I do? How do I know where page numbers should be, where page
breaks
are missing? And, to put the page numbers in after I figure out what page
breaks are missing, in, should I do it manually or what would you suggest? I
have OpenBook 7.0 and a BrailleNote and was also wondering about doing the
insert page numbers with Microsoft word but wasn't sure how that'd work.
Thanks!
Sorry for all the newbe questions.

Megan

In a message dated 6/1/2009 6:50:59 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

block quote
Hi again Megan.

Actually, I've found that page numbers are very important in proofreading a
book.

I don't move them, if they are at the bottom I leave them at the bottom, if
they are at the top I leave them at the top. I think some folks prefer them
at the top but that seems to me to be tampering with the book's original
content and I don't do it.

But, if page numbers are present you can tell whether or not a page has
been skipped or duplicated.

I use Kurzweil to do most of my editing. The first thing I do is determine
where the real page 1 is: after all the front matter. Then I set Kurzweil to
recognize this as page 1.  Then I go to the last page, at least the last
page with a page number and see if Kurzweil has the same page count. If so,
then
you're lucky. If not that means there are missing pages or duplicated
pages. Sometimes someone will scan a book in two page mode. In that case there
will
be page numbers without corresponding page breaks. Usually it's two pages
between page breaks. Then you have to go through and put a page break where
the
new pages are. I hate doing that because it's grunt work and can take a
long time.

Anyway, you see why I consider page numbers important?

Bob

block quote