[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hi & General Questions

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2012 06:43:14 -0700

Hi, Laura, the length of time for proofreading a book depends on the
book. Let me give you an example of what I mean. If you're doing a
pamphlet, it might take a shorter time to do than a thousand page book.
It also depends on how much time you devote to it per session. I
remember proofreading a book where the chapters were shorter, so I'd do
so many chapters per session. If the chapter happens to be longer, I
might just do one chapter (say if a chapter is over twenty or more pages
long). You see, I read the entire book and don't skim over it. It's the
only way I know how to do this. With regard to getting books to
proofread, you can let the volunteer list know what sort of books you're
willing to tackle. Also, you might have correspondence with submitters
(I do), and they might write and tell you they've put a hold on a book
for you. You might write and say you prefer to do non-fiction or
textbooks, and you will be informed about what's been submitted. Then
you might write to say you'd like to proofread such-and-such a book. You
might also email a submitter or Carrie Karnos expressing an interest in
proofreading something. In my case, I like doing fiction and I have
found myself working on a particular series because of my correspondence
with the submitter. Does this help you out? Write back and let me know.
If I have been unclear, I will try and be more specific. Good luck with
your proofreading. Regards, Kim Friedman.