[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hi & General Questions

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 06:33:41 -0700

Hi Laura,

It's great to have you with us.  Thanks for volunteering with Bookshare!  I
hope you're enjoying proofreading.

Please don't let how long proofreading takes you to do be worrisome to you.
We all work differently, and at different speeds.  There really aren't hard
and fast rules about how long it takes.  Some books are quicker to get
through than others.  In general, a novel will take less time by far to
proofread than a nonfiction book that might contain charts, tables,
sidebars, and footnotes.  Just work at a pace that is comfortable for you
and is enjoyable.
As for finding out about books being scanned, and holds for, you've come to
the right place.  Each week both the wish list, and the list of books being
scanned are posted here to the list and you can put out a general shout out
if you see something on the list of books being scanned to the scanner
asking if he/she would mind putting a hold on a particular title for you to
proofread the book if that book hasn't already been spoken for. If the
person isn't on this list, or you aren't sure whether or not he/she is, then
you can contact Madeleine, our volunteer coordinator, at
<mailto:madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx and ask her if she
would please contact the person who is scanning that particular book and
make the request for you.

Hope all of that helps!

Again, it's great to have you with us!

Happy volunteering!