[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fw: WishListRequest From Chela

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:19:42 -0400

Hi, Susan. I don't have a problem with people doing what you and Larry
are doing by scanning a volume with several novels in it. That isn't
what I was trying to say.

My concern is that two wish list request messages have been posted
this week asking for books that are already in the collection. I don't
know if people are forgetting to look for the books on Bookshare first
or if they're having a problem searching for the books they want to
read. If it's the latter, we need to work on explaining how to use
search so people can find the books they want. If that's the issue,
education and support will solve it fairly easily.

I'm a person who values using resources wisely. I know that isn't
everyone's cup of tea. Knowing how people sometimes respond to book
requests, I worry that a volunteer will take on a wish list request
only to find that it's rejected for already being on Bookshare. In
fact, I know of three cases of this occurring in the past six weeks.
This means that both a submitter and validater wasted their time
working on a book that was ultimately rejected. I know that each of
these people could have stopped the process by checking the collection
first, so I'm not blaming anyone personally. It just seems like a sad
waste of our resources to me when our man/woman power is fairly small.

Since I don't want to burden Grandma Cindy further, I guess there is
no way to deal with this except to remind volunteers to check the
collection before buying and scanning a book request. The other
suggestion I have is to check for both the title and author since the
spelling of the author's name in the wish list request is sometimes
incorrect.

--
Monica Willyard