[bksvol-discuss] Re: First Message from Newest Volunteer

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 07:13:16 -0800

Hi Kane,

Yes, the page numbering definitely matters and needs to be compliant with
the book.  You can have Kurzweil keep blank pages in the book.  Under the
settings menu in "recognition" settings there is an option to keep blank
pages.  If you enable this, and save this setting in your default settings,
you will have the proper number of pages in the book, and Kurzweil will
announce which pages are recognized as blank.

Also, a VERY important setting that needs to be saved in Kurzweil 1000 is in
the settings menu under Conversion. The first item in this menu is settings
for opening documents.  Under the option for rtf documents (which is the
format in which you'll be submitting your book to bookshare) you need to
disable the "split long pages" option.  And always save this setting under
your default settings.  If you do not make this change to your settings, the
page numbering in your rtf document is likely to be inaccurate, different
from what is actually in the book, because Kurzweil may and often does,
insert page breaks where the book didn't have them, and will result in
rejection of your book due to inaccurate page numbering and improper number
of page breaks.

It's great to have you as a new volunteer!  Happy scanning!  And feel free
to ask questions if you have them.  We all did in the beginning.  I
certainly know I had tons of questions when I started volunteering.

Mayrie