[bksvol-discuss] Chapter Numbers

  • From: "Monica Cortada" <MCortada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 07:30:45 -0400

     My question relates to the way many books start a new chapter with only
the chapter number.  Sighted readers know it's a new chapter because the
font is different, usually very large.  When the book is processed by an
electronic reader, I think it's really odd to have a number blerted out in
between sentences.  Is it permissible to add the word "Chapter" in front of
the chapter numeral in order to indicate in words what the page communicates
in font attributes?  Is adding the word "Chapter" in that setting a
forbidden alteration of the text, or a reasonable adaptation of the text for
use by screen and Braille readers where some font attributes are not
translated?

Monica in Maryland