[bksvol-discuss] Re: British English

  • From: Marilyn <mmbeagle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 20:47:53 -0400

And also, Lisa, an example might look like this -- and bear in mind I'm
watching football, so I have barbarians on my mind:

American:
"And them I asked, 'Didn't Peyton Manning break his neck and take a year off
from football while he had 14 surgeries?'"
"And my husband said, 'Yes, he still wants to play, but the Colts said, "No,
not for us, you're a mess."  But the Broncos said, "We'll take you!"'"

British (reverse all of them):
'And them I asked, "Didn't Peyton Manning break his neck and take a year off
from football while he had 14 surgeries?"'
'And my husband said, "Yes, he still wants to play, but the Colts said, 'No,
not for us, you're a mess.'  But the Broncos said, 'We'll take you!'"'

Also, Lisa, sometimes I find that they don't put periods after the prefixes of
people's and place's names.  Like Mr Smith and Mrs Jones live in St Louis.

Marilyn
mmbeagle@xxxxxxxxx