[bksvol-discuss] Re: British English

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 13:14:34 -0700

It's not really a punctuation issue, and may relate more to the author than British English books in general, but in the James Bond books I recently scanned, there were more occurrences of sentences like:

'Don't touch that button,' Bond shouted, 'or the whole place may go up.'

In most American books, there would be a period after shouted, and the o in or would thus be capitalized. Lower case letters following a quote are few and far between.

Misha

On 10/8/2012 11:04 AM, Judy s. wrote:
Hi Lisa,

One other difference in punctuation in addition to what's already been mentioned is that in British English you won't have a period after abbreviations such as "Mr" and "Mrs" while In American English you will.

Judy s.
On 10/7/2012 6:50 PM, Lisa Gorden-Cushman wrote:
Hello,

I am considering proofing a book, but it is in British English. Other than some of the spelling differences, what punctuation differences should I keep in mind? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this book sounds good.

Thanks,
Lisa