[bksvol-discuss] Re: Braillenote died

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 00:27:19 -0500

I absolutely would go to Vassar under the same circumstances as it allowed me to go to work during the seventies when almost nobody else worked. The degree opened a lot of doors for me and probably still does. The professors were wonderful and the students great. It was the administration who gave me trouble. AAfter dealing with them, nothing I have had to face later in life in terms of discrimination and working for my rights was as bad.

I now work doing grant research and writing, helping others advocate and obtain funds and do focus groups as a moderator, questionaire design and setting up of marketing studies. I learned these skills while working for large companies for thirty years.

Sometimes folks who need things cannot figure out how to advocate for themselves or are just too personally emotionally involved to do a good job or it. They can pay me and I can work with them. It is important to note that they cannot pay me from the grant money they receive in some future as taking that kind of percentage is absolutely illegal and considered conflict of interest among grant writers.

I have, for instance, helped folks find loan possibilities for equipment and find services they are elligible for in their state of which they were not aware.

My writing skills are good and so I sometimes also help others re-write things -- papers, reports, longer things. Lots of folks have good ideas and are somewhat poor at expressing them. Some people just need a second person to check over their work, fix spelling, fix grammar and keep their wording but rearrange sentences for better flow and continuity, that kind of thing.

Please write off list if any of these services are ones you or someone you know might find useful.

E.

At 11:56 PM 12/3/2006, you wrote:
I'm curious to know what the small business was and also why you insisted on
going to Vassar when they made things so difficult for you. Would you do so
again given the choice? I'm sure you received a wonderful education there
but was it really worth it having to put up with that degree of
discrimination?