[bksvol-discuss] Book Submitted: Thunder Cakes

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 17:26:24 -0500

Another Patricia Polacco book, my children's librarian recommended this
author and her books scan well, with 400 dpi and grayscale which is a great
pleasure especially with kids books.

Thunder Cakes

Under the .rtf section of the website. easy validation, fixed all the errors
I could.  The recipe didn't come out perfect, I tried to fix it best I
could.  You know those lovely fractions.

From the Book Jacket:
A  loud clap of thunder booms and rattles the windows of Grandma's old
farmhouse."This is Thunder Cake baking weather," calls Grandma, as she and
her granddaughter hurry to gather the ingredients around the farm. A real
Thunder Cake must reach the oven before the storm arrives. But the list of
ingredients is long and not easy to find ... and the storm is coming closer
all the time!
Reaching once again into her rich childhood experience, Patricia Polacco
tells the memorable story of how her grandma-her Babushka-helped her
overcome her fear of thunder when she was a little girl. Ms. Polacco's vivid
memories of her grandmother's endearing answer to a child's fear,
accompanied by her bright folk-art illustrations, turn a frightening
thunderstorm into an adventure and ultimately...a celebration!
Whether the first clap of thunder finds you buried under the bedcovers or
happily anticipating the coming storm, Thunder Cake is a story that will
bring new meaning and possibility to the excitement of a thunderstorm.
Patricia Polacco, born to parents of Russian extraction, comes from a large
family of storytellers.
She reminisces, "My fondest memories are of sitting around a stove or open
fire, eating apples and popping popcorn while listening to the old ones tell
glorious stories about the past."
Many of Ms. Polacco's stories are based on family history, as are Thunder
Cake and the recently published Uncle Vova's Tree. Her first book for
Philomel, Rechenkd's Eggs, won the 1989 International Reading Association
Book Award, Younger Reader Category.
Ms. Polacco has studied in both the United States and Australia, receiving
both a bachelor's and master's degree in fine art and a Ph.D. in art
history, specializing in Russian and Greek painting and iconographie
history.
Having raised a son and daughter, Patricia Polacco and her husband, Enzo,
now live in Oakland, California.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council