[birdky] backyard birds

  • From: "Marsh, Scott" <smarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ASK Freelists <ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 13:53:55 +0000

I have counted 6 hummers, don't know how many there really are, but that is a
good number for me. I have a lot of cardinal vine that they visit a lot along
with a feeder.

My sunflower patch is full of goldfinch, such delicate birds in call and flight.

The Red-tailed hawk that gave my chickens so much grief this past winter has
returned, with a partner. I am certain it is the same bird due to her using the
same precise perches and being so very aggressive and unafraid of me. The
partner stays off a bit.
I suspect I am breaking the law by bothering the bird at all, if indeed one
could prove I am bothering her. I was tossing tomatoes at her atop the pole and
in defiance, she went to pruning, hardly even noting the grazing she took from
an over ripe/rotten tomato. I had to gather the hens one by one from under
cover and put them back in the pin last night. as I headed to the pin with the
last she became quite disturbed. I looked up and the hawk is setting just over
my head, nearly within arms reach, considering a move before I have put them
all out of reach.
This bird has surely gotten a taste for chicken somewhere, but has been
thwarted so far here. Can you get a special permit to abuse and protected bird?
By the way, she is a beautiful bird up so close, just gorgeous. Maybe I could
spare a hen or two; I have a couple not paying their keep.

Scott Marsh
Lexington