[birdky] backyard birds

  • From: "Marsh, Scott" <smarsh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ASK List <ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 12:26:25 +0000

My robin that nested 28" off the ground in the open has fledged two. She didn't
do it on her own. I built shelter around them for sun protection as they were
hanging out of the nest with mouths agape. I also built wire caging below that
may or may not have deterred predators. On top of this, I twice put one back
into the nest that she clumsily knocked out; one of the times the young was
very cold, I didn't expect it to live. I was quite hurt when she continued to
scold me upon approach, I felt I was part of the family (the big ugly well
meaning uncle). They are on their own now; their chances aren't good,
especially since they are likely alive now only because of my meddling,
interrupting the natural survival of the fittest.

I have never had enough martins to fill my martin house, but always have
martins, and generally they have shared it with a house sparrow. There would be
some conflict but cohabitation was worked out. This year, with only 3 pair of
martins, I have a starling trying the tight spot out. They martins aren't
happy, but not of large enough numbers to force the starlings out. I routinely
evict the squatters. The activity doesn't seem to bother the martins at all.
They sit on the wires while I drop the box to a manageable height and clean the
starling debris with no complaining. I doubt they know what I am doing, but I
like to think so anyway.

Scott Marsh
Lexington