[birdky] RPT: Miscellaneous reports

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EPPC OOS KNPC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:22:49 -0500

This morning I visited the yard of Sue Massey in Oldham County to try to
help her set up an outside light on her hummingbird feeder so that her
continuing RUBY-THROATED and RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS could keep feeding.
When I arrived about 8:00 a.m. both birds were present with the
temperature at 6 degrees F. and a 10-20 mph wind blowing the snow flakes
around. Unfortunately, with both birds attempting to utilize the same
feeder all of the time, the Rufous -- which is probably now in much
better health than the Ruby-throated -- was repeatedly chasing the
Ruby-throated away. Over the course of about 30 minutes of observation I
did not see the latter get to feed in any meaningful way, and over the
course of the next hour it did not reappear at the feeder. It is sad to
say, but I must assume that the Ruby-throated was able to make it
through the night of cold in torpor, but without a good meal first thing
in the morning it certainly must have succumbed to the frigid conditions
while I was there :o(

This is certainly the latest that a Ruby-throated Hummingbird has been
observed in Kentucky and perhaps the region. I wish that I had attempted
to fix up two warmed feeders in Sue's yard before now and maybe the
little gal would still be hanging in there. She has been regular in
Sue's yard for more than six weeks now. I am also now second guessing
instructing Sue to use a vitamin supplement in the nectar, which the
birds had been eating a couple of weeks ago, but which she had
discontinued until this morning because they seemed to prefer just the
plain sugar water. The vitamin supplement probably makes the nectar
taste funny, and the one time the Ruby-throated could have fed, she went
around the various ports, perhaps looking for some sweeter tasting
nectar? As with most other birds I've suggested offering this supplement
to, the Rufous didn't seem to miss a beat and was stopping in at the
feeder every 10 minutes or so taking long drinks. I know the Rufous
don't need any supplements, but I don't think it hurts and I thought it
would definitely help out the less cold-tolerant Ruby-throated and
suggested Sue start using it again ... too late to say would have, could
have now.

I called Vivian Roark of Lancaster awhile ago and she reported that her
female RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD was last seen on Saturday, December 29th.
Vivian said the bird was quite active for a couple of days before she
disappeared, so maybe she was intuitive enough to move farther south
before this first bout of serious cold weather arrived. I believe
Beverly McDaniel's RUFOUS is still coming outside of Paris in Bourbon
County but I have not emailed her in several days.

Other observations of interest:

While watching the hummers this morning, I saw about 50 SANDHILL CRANES
heading south in a hurry!

On December 31st, Eddie Huber and I birded the Lake Barkley/Kentucky
Lake area hoping for a last minute addition to our year lists.  Our only
interesting find on the day was a young male SURF SCOTER with other
diving ducks above Barkley Dam. Especially Kentucky Lake had many fewer
birds on it than two days before. By the way ... Aaron Hulsey's
LONG-TAILED DUCK was a different bird than mine on December 29th. Mine
was presumably a young male with nearly completely white head and neck.

According to posts from farther north, Common Redpolls are still on the
move so hopefully this front will bring us a few. Be sure to watch your
thistle and sunflower feeders closely during the next few weeks!

I'll post results of Bernheim Forest and Paradise CBCs soon.

bpb, Frankfort