[bcbirdclub] Re: Unusual Yard Bird

  • From: Daniel Kendrick <kendridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 20:31:13 -0400

Speaking of an usual 'yard' bird, I actually had an usual house bird. A couple
of years ago when I had the log home in southern Ohio, I had a very unusual
'birding' experience. It was April and on the way home I encountered a jack
knifed logging truck so I had to take the long way home. The long way home
meant passing a great spot along The Ohio Brush Creek so I thought I might just
see some wood ducks. Finally arriving home having not seen any ducks, I opened
my front door was in shock to see lamps knocked over. I thought that a break in
had occurred and my place had been ransacked. With that I took several steps
forward and out of no where a female wood duck flew across my living room
crashing into a large window. Later I found out that the Amish builder had
neglected to place a screen over my chimney opening.
I chased the lady duck around my cabin for awhile until I persuaded her to fly
safety into the freedom of my woods. Outside of a little duck poop in the
house, it was truly a birding sighting for the ages!
Dan