[bcbirdclub] Re: Feeding Frenzy

  • From: "Bob" <bebirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 20:31:21 -0500

Thanks David a great bird story!

Bob(Bebirding)Riggs

Lebanon, VA

  _____

From: bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David & Susan Raines
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:53 AM
To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bcbirdclub] Feeding Frenzy

Action has been fast & furious around our feeders during the recent cold &
snow. I estimate between 430-450 birds are dining in our yard on a daily
basis. 20 species have been represented with Pine Siskins numbering between
250-300 individuals. I put out a well-bucket full of black-oil sunflower
seeds each morning! We also have suet, poke-berries & peanuts available for
our feathered friends. During these bitter cold days, I have so enjoyed
sitting by our fireplace & observing this horde of hungry birds. Some of the
highlights have included a single Hermit Thrush feeding on poke-berries, our
first Brown Thrasher in a couple of months, several Purple Finches, a pair
of Red-bellied Woodpeckers that had strangely been absent this winter & of
course the amazing flock of Siskins. A lone Chipping Sparrow showed up
yesterday which is rare for January. Enjoy the birds, must leave now to go
to the feed store! Dave R/Breaks