[bcbirdclub] Feeding Frenzy

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:52:34 -0500

Action has been fast & furious around our feeders during the recent cold &
snow. I estimate between 430-450 birds are dining in our yard on a daily basis.
20 species have been represented with Pine Siskins numbering between 250-300
individuals. I put out a well-bucket full of black-oil sunflower seeds each
morning! We also have suet, poke-berries & peanuts available for our feathered
friends. During these bitter cold days, I have so enjoyed sitting by our
fireplace & observing this horde of hungry birds. Some of the highlights have
included a single Hermit Thrush feeding on poke-berries, our first Brown
Thrasher in a couple of months, several Purple Finches, a pair of Red-bellied
Woodpeckers that had strangely been absent this winter & of course the amazing
flock of Siskins. A lone Chipping Sparrow showed up yesterday which is rare for
January. Enjoy the birds, must leave now to go to the feed store! Dave R/Breaks