[AZ-Observing] Re: No. AZ Observing Sites & Forest Closures

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 01:03:33 EDT

AJ Crayon wrote:

> Bill, do people camp there for a couple of days or so?  I'm thinking of say
> Friday through Sunday.  Is this even allowed?

Unfortunately, overnight camping isn't allowed at Doney Mtn picnic area.
There was a couple from New Jersey who spent the night in their rented RV
following an observing session with some members of CAS. Apparently, they
weren't disturbed. I've never encountered any forest service staff during the
handful of times I've observed there.

> Sounds like there are no hookups for potable water or electricity,
> amenities I
> don't have use for while astro-camping.  Actually I bring everything needed
> - and
> take it out when leaving.
>
> Also, how well used is the area by public during the day?  For example,
> supposed
> one wanted to take an afternoon nap - while telescope and equipment was
> still set
> up.

I've not been there during the day, so don't know how much traffic the picnic
area gets.

Regards,

Bill Ferris
"Cosmic Voyage: The Online Resource for Amateur Astronomers"

messages.  Thanks.