[AZ-Observing] Re: Lloyd Horton

  • From: Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 11:05:43 -0700

Lloyd was also a charter member of the Desert Foothills Astronomy Club,
which I founded in 2006, though I knew him from way back in the 80s when
I first joined PAS. I'm sure readers of this list, even those who did
not know Lloyd, will be interested to hear how this all comes full circle.

A few months back, I was approached by Bryant Sexton, a senior at
Foothills Academy charter school in Scottsdale, where I taught physics
part-time from 99-09. His senior project is to design and build an
observatory on campus, and he asked me to be his mentor. I agreed. Turns
out his family knows the Hortons, and (to make a long story short) we
are in the process of incorporating Lloyd's scope into this project.
Bryant and I spoke with Lloyd at his home in September, and he was
thrilled about the prospect of creating this legacy. He was willing to
donate his entire observatory, but zoning constraints limit us to
accepting only the scope, a custom 12" CAT built by Lloyd (including the
optics). This is still a work in progress, and may span 2 years, with
another senior completing what Bryant started ... this is an ambitious
project for a high school student, but Bryant is motivated to make it
happen, and I will continue as mentor until it's done. It will be a fine
legacy for Lloyd. My only regret is that he will not be able to attend
the dedication and first light (perhaps more correctly, "second light").

Dan Heim
President
Desert Foothills Astronomy Club
http://www.dfacaz.org