[AZ-Observing] Re: Image Processing

  • From: Michael Collins <cal_donley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:32:41 -0700

On 10/30/10 10:08, Cosmic Lettuce wrote:
> Hi Paul -- you might look at using IRAF, or at least go to iraf.net
> and post this question.

  I didn't see Paul's original question, except as quoted in CL's reply,
however I think you may want to look at STSDAS.  This package, developed
by the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is installed as an
extension to IRAF.  I know there was a lot of work put into
deconvolution routines prior to the first repair mission.  Whether they
would be useful for Paul's needs is beyond my realm of knowledge.

  The good news: Both IRAF and STSDAS are extremely capable and
available at no cost.  The rest of the story: These are packages
intended for professional researchers, and they have steep learning
curves.  Also, IRAF harks back to the days of mainframes and batch
processing, and the user interface shows its heritage.

  And one more thing: Cosmic Lettuce?!? :-)

                                -- Mike --
--
cal_donley@xxxxxxx