atw: Re: samples of work requested at interview

  • From: Bob Trussler <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 20:34:04 +1000

Who wrote this?

I was asked by a project manager years ago about interviewing tech writers.
I suggested that the tech writers bring copies of their work and ...
He immediately interrupted me and said that 'he would have no idea who
designed the material ...'
 .. and then I went on to suggest that he ask
  "What went wrong?
  "What could have been done better?
  "What compromises were made?
  "Why was this style used for the header /footer/title page ...?
If the candidate was actually involved, then they could describe the
problems encountered.  There are always problems and compromises.

and he then twigged.  He hired an experienced and competent tech writer.

--
Bob Trussler