atw: Re: mail merge question

  • From: "Daryl Colquhoun" <atw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter list" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:44:37 +1000

OK, so it seems you have a CSV file along these lines

Mickey Mouse &,Minnie Mouse,Cheese St,Trapville
Scrooge McDuck,Money Bin,Duckberg

I've thought a bit about it and can't think of a good way out. Yes, I have
also tried using ordinary VBA functions (like RIGHT) in Mail Merge and
success is mixed, and usually un-. If it did work, your suggested field
expression looks to me as though it would be dead right.
Hmmm ... make & a delimiter? ... no, I can't see how that would work.

You could delink the output (or 'print to file') and then replace all '&^l'
with '& '.
Or you could edit the data file and replace all '&,' with '& '.

Obviously, these would both turn the first entry into 'Mickey Mouse & Minnie
Mouse', as required.

But I sort of sense (and correct me if I'm mistaken) that you're trying to
set it up so that Word non-power users can manage it _in one step_, and if
that's so, you'll have to write some sort of macro, which will probably do
something along the lines of my global replaces above. The users could be
instructed just to go Tools > Macro > ... . You mention a button. Do you
want to link your macro to a button? You can, but is this what you mean when
you mention a macro button, or do you mean something more esoteric?

How were they managing before?

Emails sent to this address are deleted unread as an anti-spam measure.