atw: Re: captioning

  • From: "Christine Kent" <c.bkent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 16:11:51 +1000

I gave up with captioning in 2007 - just couldn't get the numbers working
properly unless I did the whole lot right at the end once I had finished the
document, and started at the start, and numbered them in sequence.  Too much
fuss, so I pretty much do it the way Suzie suggested.

To create a new style in 2007, you just format the text the way you want it,
right click,  and click Styles, Save Selection as a new quick style.

I have "Para Keep With Next" on my quick access toolbar and use it regularly
to control pagination where Keep With Next is not part of the style.  So you
could have the caption under the graphic and click Keep With Next on the
graphic to manually attach the two (presuming you don't want to set a
special graphic style that includes a keep with next command).

If you don't know how to set up your quick access toolbar, go to
http://christinekent.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-to-set-up-your-quick-access-to
olbar.html

Further to Suzie's advice you are talking about creating building blocks,
not autotext.  For instructions on this go to
http://christinekent.blogspot.com/2008/08/where-did-autotext-go_12.html .

If you need to organise your styles, go to
http://christinekent.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-to-organise-your-styles-s-o-yo
u.html

If any of you use any of them, and they let you down in any way, please feel
free to post a comment telling me what is wrong.  They are all very quickly
written and untested.

Christine