atw: Captioning

  • From: Suzy <SuzyDavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 01:15:01 -0500 (CDT)

Matt wrote:
Thanks to Suzy and Judith for the ?style? solution ? I?ll keep
this in mind for future work. Strict pagination on the current job
demands mean only a v flexible method will work: so that (even)
single lines don?t get shuffled over to the next page. It takes
more time to set up text boxes, but the absence of any ?template?
in terms of position means I get exactly what I need on each
page.

HI Matt
You might need to explain what mean by flexible, but the problem
with using text boxes is that they all need to be tediously
manually placed.

To keep a caption with it's preceding paragraph - ie the picture,
you can set the preceding pargaraph to be 'Keep with Next' - it's
a paragraph setting (not sure where to find it in 2007).  You
could also define a style for your graphics (if inline) which has
the 'Keep with Next' property set.

If by 'flexible' you need your caption to overlap your graphic -
then textboxes are probably the way to go - but I would still
define a style for your caption in the textbox.  Textboxes use the
Normal style by default, and it is very easy to change the
definition of that style without knowing.  And then to be looking
at your document just before you print to find that all your
captions have changed their formatting which prevents them from
being visible in their textbox.  So be careful with this method.

regards Suzy