atw: Captioning

  • From: Suzy <SuzyDavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 22:34:50 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Matt
It depends on how you want to use the captions - ie do you want
the captions to be sequentially number and to turn up in a Table
of Figures or Table of Tables etc.  Or are you just wanting
something that is centred.

Either way, I wouldn't use text boxes - you are choosing a method
in Word that is difficult to manage in bulk.

If 2007's Insert Caption function doesn't provide you with the
options you want, don't use it - and instead create a Caption
style - I'm not sure how to do this in 2007.

Give the Caption style the properties you want, ie space
above/below and centered.

And if you want your captions have a prefix with a number, ie
"Figure # Caption Text Example", you could also give the style
these properties under the Numbering section.  So each time you
use the style, the numbering increments like Heading numbering.

But as the numbering in Word 2007 is still as fundamentally flawed
as it has been in previous version, I would do the numbering in a
different way:
1. Create a paragraph, and Type: Figure
2. Insert a SEQ field - Ctrl + F9 should do this, call it the
Figure sequence.  Your field will look like {SEQ Figure \n }
Shift+F9 toggles the field back to display the result.
3. Apply the Caption style (you created earlier) to the paragraph
4. Save it as Autotext.

Your paragraph text is now: Figure #

Each time you need a caption, insert the Autotext.

HTH
Suzy