atw: Re: Use of caps for titles etc

  • From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Australian Technical Writers List <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:46:22 +1000

Garry Stevensasked,
>Are there any style suggestions for use of caps? ... I'm not aware of
>rules to either justify or denigrate the use of capital Letters for almost
>every
>Noun in a Sentence.

Most style guides that I'm aware of, including the Australian Style Manual,
the Chicago Manual of Style, the Microsoft Manual of Style, and the Sun
style manual (Read Me First) all specify minimalist capitalisation.

Whether you or the people you deal with consider a style guide's
recommendations as "rules" is another matter, but you can certainly wave an
impressive collection of authoritative references at people if you need to.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
The Technical Editors' Eyrie  http://www.jeanweber.com/