atw: Eudora again.

  • From: Bill Parker <renew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:31:25 +0800

>Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:54:54 +1000
>From: Michael Edward Granat <megranat@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: eudora rave?  Why?
>
>Dear Dr. Bill (Parker),
>
>So often, usability is in the eye of the beholder.
>
>It can depend on what software you work with every day and become familiar
>with as to what you see as being acceptable.
>
>If you are constantly working with tools on an Apple Macintosh, you might
>well find the Microsoft Windows way of working to be unnecessarily
>recondite and operator-intensive.
>
>Working with Microsoft Word every day on the P of C makes it usable, even
>sometimes enjoyable "for me".  But I am sure that there are many others on
>this list who would (and often do) state quite the opposite from their own
>experiences.
>
>If I recall correctly, the Eudora E-mail tool evolved from its beginnings
>on the Mac so, just maybe, it all comes down to us Windows operators
>finding the Eudora way of working to be refreshingly intuitive and logical
>while, on the Mac, other such applications have passed it by.
>
>For what it's worth, Eudora Pro is the most useful and usable E-mail
>application that I have encountered in the Windows arena.  There might well
>be far better tools available for the Macintosh environment.  Maybe even
>the Outlook version for Mac has some surprises and might even not work off
>the single file dump for everything principle that makes it so vulnerable
>and (potentially disastrously) unreliable when in the MS arena.  If so,
>please enlighten us.
>
>Likewise, Linux and UNIX people (working with one of the many flavours of
>GUIs available) might like to tell us of what tools they find the most
>usable and reliable in their operating environments.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Michael Granat

Yep.  Michael you speak some wisdom.  Having spent a few hours
tinkering around today, I am thinking - I might have been a bit
harsh.   Trouble is, somebody else set things up for me and this is
not the first time I have had to go back to square one and sort
things myself.  However, I don't think I'll go back to Outlook though
- things aren't THAT bad.

Bill  - The man who no longer receives SPAM at Westnet!