atw: Re: SnagIt and screen dumps

  • From: Write Ideas <writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:30:21 +1000

Oh, I see what you are after, Christine (K)

Almost certainly, whilst in transition between applications, these are Windows clipboard files, dumped into and extracted from the clip book viewer application / system clipboard memory one at a time. The same would apply with anything copied to the system memory from any application and has precious little to do with whether you are using SnagIt or not.

If you want to gain access to the Windows system clipboard at any time, to see what is being copied in for paste output:
1. Press Win (flag) + R.
    The Run prompt displays.
2. Type clpbrd and press Enter.
    The Windows ClipBook Viewer window displays.

To see how this works, press Alt+Print Screen and the selected window capture displays within the Clipboard window within ClipBook Viewer window. (Double click to maximise.) Any single item that you copy to the system clipboard displays in there.

Don't know what it's format is but I suspect that the system saves it as a .CLP or .TMP file during the swap over process.

Does that answer your query?

Cheers,

Micky G.
Write Ideas

At 17:10 15/09/2008, you wrote:
Very informative thankyou Michael, but you haven?t answered my question. This is a question specifically relating to SnagIt.

I AM using SnagIt, and I AM pasting as an embedded graphic into Word (so not linking), with as few keystrokes as possible. I want to cut out the save and insert steps by inserting directly into Word.

So what type of file am I pasting into Word if I don?t save it? You have assumed it is a bitmap. However, I doubt that, given I have hundreds of them in a file, and given that the file had not become an unmanageable size. I have assumed it is something else. But what?

Maybe it gives the file type that is selected for the default save ? but I?m not sure if this is even possible.

Christine

Michael Granat
Write Ideas
www.writeideas.com.au