atw: Re: screen dump resolution

  • From: Write Ideas <writeideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:28:09 +1000

Hi again Christine (K)

Word prefers its native file format of .BMP for screen grabs. Word never has to convert this format so images display quickly when scrolling, whereas other bitmap formats can be subject to on the fly conversion delays.

JPEG will be very lossy if captured at anything less than its highest quality setting, which is fine but just as large in megabytes as its BMP counterpart when no compression is used.

Windows metafiles (.WMF) or Enhanced Windows metafiles (.EWMF) are great for structured drawings, conversions of flow charts and block coloured graphs but are typically far from ideal for images with photographic levels of colour information such as screen grabs. I use WMFs all the time for saves of Visio drawings, for example.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Micky G.
Write Ideas

At 12:12 15/09/2008, you wrote:

What do you know about .wmf. I compared each of the formats in SnagIt and if anything, .wmf was marginally (it's all miniscule) better than .png, and both are marginally better than .jpg.

Christine

Michael Granat
Write Ideas
www.writeideas.com.au