atw: Re: Lost tip: emails 'period-doubling'

  • From: "Matilda Reich" <matildar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:40:54 +1000

Dear Michael (Granat),

You are a wealth of knowledge (as usual).

My ISP is Ozemail and I will call them to see what they say.
I suspect hacking because of the way I use my PC. Someone told me that if
you spend long periods at a time on-line it can leave you open to hackers
who roam the internet searching for PCs with their front door wide open for
long stretches.  Is this true?

How have you "stopped many attempted incoming hacks, starting with port
scans, whilst I am on line"?. I am most interested to learn.

As for "log in to the Internet by way of your antivirus tool using live
update / autodownload facility",  sounds like sensible advice.  Will look
into it and Vet and Sygate (for firewall), as well.

I use McAfee Viruscan and regularly do their updates (as a separate dowload
to getting my email) . Also have Ad-aware v 6.0. But I commit the cardinal
sin of disabling McAfee when I go on line because it slows things down so
much I can't work without losing my temper. I obviously need to upgrade my
hard and software.  (ie. get a new PC [they're getting as cheap as carrots,
after all]).

Why do you like Eudora Mail so much?

Many thanks,

Matilda Reich