atw: Re: Insurances 101

  • From: Christine.BirtleyKent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:05:55 +1000

Hi Mark
Firstly, what the client wants, the client gets, so take the insurances of
lose the job - simple as that - even though you are absolutley right that
in most (not all) cases, we should not have more than a week or two of
liability at the most..

However, I am finding that it is getting easier to work this problem out.
Management companies will usually give a deal that covers just the 3
insurances, and now the recruitment companies are getting in on the act. I
have used Entity in the past to do this for me, and my current recruiter
is doing it for me.  I have an application in with another recruiter that
is offering this deal also.  Expected cost with these companies to do it
for you is 2-3% of gross less GST.

ck

Top Mark / Mark Lehmann <topmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
24/06/2004 03:38 PM
Please respond to austechwriter

        To:     austechwriter list <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:     (bcc: Christine Birtley-Kent/AUS/ANZ/CCA)
        Subject:        atw: Insurances 101

What are the current insurance requirements and recommendations for
Technical Writers working as INDEPENDENT contractors (that is, billing
the client directly for a monthly amount plus GST)?

Related questions in my foggy insurance lobe:
- Are insurances (Public Liability, Professional Indemnity, WorkCover, .
. .) LEGALLY required for TWs working as independent contractors? Which
ones?
- Does it depend on the client's requirements?
- Why would TWs need this cover?
    -    re hazards: Isn't it the client, not the writer, who's finally
responsible for anything written by a TW? I see TW as being different
from work done by, say, a programmer because the client can never
completely verify that a program is bug-free and therefore may be
dangerous, whereas the client CAN completely check that a document's
contents are not hazardous in any way.
    -    re loss: If the TW provides the client with a CD of all work to
date once a week, loss of files shouldn't be an issue. Should it?
    -    other: ???
- Why do clients (especially contracting agencies!) persist in requiring
this cover when [according to me] it's not necessary for TW contractors?

- Has anyone had occasion to use/need this cover?!!! What were the
circumstances?
- Can anyone recommend a company that provides these types of cover?
(I've read the thread "Insurance deal for ASTC members". It doesn't end
conclusively.)

I have disability insurance, life insurance, superannuation, home and
contents insurance, fire and theft insurance, mortgage insurance,
domestic public liability insurance, car insurance and trailer insurance
-- please tell me that's all I need!!!

Am I missing something?

Cheers,
Mark Lehmann