atw: Re: FrameMaker to Word conversion

  • From: "bja" <moo-man@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:44:46 +1100

If it took an hour for 30 pages, I'd suggest trying it without the graphics
to see what happens.

I just opened an old 36-page FM5.5 document using FM7.1. The document has 15
graphics and is full of numbered headings, tables, TOC etc. and everything
converted well except for three of the graphics which did not come across
and were no doubt linked graphics rather than embedded ones. The header
table also didn't come across as a table but instead converted the table
data to text and the header graphic was lost. In any event, it only took
about 5 seconds to do the conversion and most elements came across OK and
the general text, tables and images were fine.

So yes, you have to do a cleanup, but the extent of this will be determined
by the styles in the receiving template. Had I set up corresponding styles
in the Word template, the conversion would have been better. Also, the
poorer the source file, the harder the conversion.

Historically though, Hedley is right; for years, it has been safer to
convert by saving as .txt, but each successive version of Frame has become
better at doing the conversion and I really don't have any problems
converting from FM7.1 when in a hurry and where a SMALL amount of bloat is
acceptable. There is certainly no 'danger' and I disagree about the memory
being 'chewed up' or the crashing issues UNLESS your source contains
problems. 'Clean' documents come across reasonably well and the resulting
.rtf file is as stable as other Word documents.

I haven't tried the Japanese converter so I will take Hedley's word for
that.

Cheers,

Bruce

  _____